I’ve worked for the NHS for over 10 it years. I started working as a contractor. After posting my CV on jobs sites I was called and offered a post at NHS Manchester NHS Agency to be part of their IT Helpdesk. I was supposed to be there until they found a full time member of staff but I was offered the job. I worked on the Service Desk for the same NHS organisation for years under its many different guises. In 2014 Primary Care Trusts were shut down by the government and new organisations were formed. I furthered my career and became an IT Engineer
Employer: NHS Greater Manchester Shared Services (formerly NHS North West Commissioning Support Unit and previously NHS Greater Manchester Commissioning Support Unit)
Position: IT Engineer
Length of time: April 2013 – Present
Location: Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Description: Field engineering support for Clinical Commissioning Groups and GP Practices across Greater Manchester
Primarily based in Bury and Bolton , the job role involves visiting to various GP/CCG buildings resolving IT issues. From creating Active Directory accounts to installing computer hardware and everything in between.
Employer: Manchester PCT / NHS Manchester
Position: IT Service Desk Analyst
Length of time: October 2006 – April 2013
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Description: IT Service Desk for NHS Manchester
Provided 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd line support to approximately 5500 staff across 260 locations.
- Support ranged from common user problems to more complex resolutions with desktop support and ad-hoc training provided for Windows XP and MS Office 2002/2003/2007 applications, NHSMail and bespoke clinical applications, Internet and VPN, Printers and scanners, McAfee Endpoint Encryption (Safeboot), and Information Governance (handling of patient data) issues.
- Provided support to the IT department for the Service desk applications and trained new Service desk staff in procedures and support knowledge.
- Worked with Service desk Lead to implement and configure new Service desk management software.
- Created documentation of commonly provided technical fixes and created knowledge-base.
- Produced reports about Service desk statistics.
- Wrote communiques to staff about upcoming outages.
- Worked closely with internal and external engineers to ensure that all jobs are completed within their SLA.
- Acted as liaison between Service desk and Senior Engineers